Goodbye Ed...

I found out a few minutes ago that Ed Broadbent is leaving politics. I wish him well on his return to normality, and I have to admire his leaving to be with his wife, who has taken ill. The New Democratic Party grew under his leadership, and with Jack Layton at the helm I hope their future is brighter.

Our friend Darcy came home for a week from Newfoundland and came over to visit. The subject of politics came up and Darcy admitted that Stephen Harper "scares the hell out of him."

I couldn't agree more with that statement. I don't trust anything that comes out of his mouth. It's almost like there's a lie detector in my head that is running when he's talking. I don't think he really cares about any part of Canada other than the West, and I do believe that if he's elected he's going to sign just about any deal that the United States hands to us. Which means we're going to have missile defense, troops in Iraq, energy sharing...

The Liberals, on the other hand, seem only to care about Ontario and Quebec. That's where the votes are, but to forget everyone else in the country is not fair to them.

The Bloc, obviously, only cares about Quebec. What I'd love to ask these members of the Bloc Quebecois is, in the last 30 years when you claim Canada has treated Quebec unfairly, how many full-term Prime Ministers have their been from outside of Quebec? Name one.

The New Democrats seem to be concerned not about a region, but about the people. Health care, education, housing, the environment...these are issues the other parties seem to talk about a lot but ultimately do nothing about.

So there you have it... A corrupt party that is in trouble, but they had the courage to start the inquiry; a corrupt party that won't admit it's corrupt; a separatist party that can't explain why they want to leave so they make up reasons, and a party that won't get a chance but they so deserve one.

At least we don't have Bush.

Comments

Popular Posts