It's the bat...err...teacher signal...

7:12 a.m. The batphone rings. The voice asks for Batman. I say "He's not here." The voice then asks for me. I say "I think he's here...yeah, he is." And so started my day.
A new day. A new school. So is the life of an occasional teacher.
The school that called me was actually the first one to call me this year. I couldn't go that day due to scheduling problems. I wasn't sure if they'd ever call me back, but sure enough they got a hold of me this morning. No scheduling problems this time.
Teaching SK/1 and a grade 2 class for the morning was a lot of fun. It takes a bit of getting used to talking to such young children and not using words that are outside the range of their vocabulary. I'm not totally comfortable doing this, but it's starting to get a lot better.
At least I'm not using psychomachia on them. Now that's more of a grade 6 word.
Still, this board isn't pulling me in enough. I'm looking at other boards.
No, I don't want to move. But I do want to feed my family.
Which would you rank as more important?
I know which one I'm seeing as more important.

Comments

food is very important.

the problem with this school board is the lack of children. there are so many families that are moving from this town that the schools aren't necessary. there are no new businesses opening up, and the only jobs here tend to be in the call center industry. which isn't a good sign.

the school board is looking at clsing down 6-8 schools, most of them in the area, and two of them are ones where I have been able to teach. once they're gone, they're gone. other boards are building several new schools due to the expanding population. here it's declining. it's not so bad that the town will become a ghost town, but when there are few jobs and they aren't ones you'd want to have forever...

but, i am applying to one this week, so things may change. i might be staying. the wheel keeps on turning...

Popular Posts