off. over. out.

I'm starting an experiment tonight. Tonight, I am going to turn off the power bars connected to our televisions, vcr's, and dvd players from when I go to bed to when I wake up. I am going to do this for a month. At the end of said month, I am going to compare the utility bills for the two months. If I find that we have saved a considerable amount of money by shutting off the power to these items when they're not being used, I'll keep doing it. It's not very convenient, but that's one house with less energy being wasted.
You see, your television is not off even when it is off. The sensor stays on waiting for you or someone else to push the on button on the remote. It's convenient, but it's not very energy friendly. Add the vcr and dvd player to that and you've got a lot of energy being wasted.
If you're interested in saving your clothes dryer and some money, try this out: when you clean out the lint trap, actually CLEAN it out. Take a scrub brush and hot, soapy water and clean the thing completely. Why? Because the lint trap is a screen, and those nice dryer sheets leave a film on the screen that blocks the holes. Less air going through means more energy wasted and more wear and tear on your dryer. Just cleaning it once every month will double the life of your dryer.
I am hoping one day to go completely off the grid. I'm tired of paying for energy. There's no such thing as free energy, but I'd be willing to invest in wind power. I've got the electrical and mechanical know-how to get started. Now all I need is the land and the house of our own. And the money to get started of course.
Now that's the hard part...hopefully a school board will see the potential of hiring me.

Comments

The last person to ever call me a luddite was Peter Rempel, English teacher at Monarch Park Collegiate. He was definitely one of the best teachers ever to enter the profession.

So far, the experiment has been a pain in the behind. Having to reprogram the VCR, television, and XBox every day hasn't been fun. But we'll see how the bill looks. Maybe that five minutes a day will be worth it.

Popular Posts