You get what you pay for...

A few years ago, my sister gave me a CD player for Christmas. It was an okay player, but it had a few quirks that most cheaply made electronics sometimes have. Anyway, it died on me a few months back. I've been trying to fix it myself, but for some reason the bubble gum and thread just wouldn't do the trick.

So I decided to salvage what I could from the unit and scrap the rest.

I needed a soldering iron. Not having a ton of money, and my good soldering iron being somewhere in a box at my parents house (I hope it's still there...), I bought a soldering iron at, of all places, Dollar $ Value! Yes, a 120V, 20W soldering iron. I figured, it has to pass CSA standards to sell in this country, so it MUST be safe.

Yeah, and fast food must be nutritious...

It worked fine for about half an hour. Then the temperature dropped. Then it rose again.

Then the thing exploded in my hand. Pink flash and loud POP and this thing was done.

Now, nothing bad happened to me or to what I was working on. I packaged it back up and took it back to Dollar $ Value. I asked for the manager, and she heard my story. She allowed me to exchange the soldering iron for anything in the store. One tube of model glue and I was once again a happy customer. But they still sell these soldering irons. Maybe mine was the only defective one, but with these things, I would hope the store would dump the $12.00 worth of them they have on the shelf and eliminate any chance of these things causing a fire.

And then they'd have no lawsuits regarding defective soldering irons.


You do get what you pay for, I guess.

Comments

Popular Posts