movie time

Went into Blockbuster the other night. With our cable finally and completely gone, we were a bit bored. So, we rented six movies. We've watched five so far, and here's my thoughts.

The Incredibles - Pixar continues on a streak of good movies. I don't consider this a Disney movie, because all they did was distribute the thing. Pixar needs to get out on their own and make movies, because they make really good ones. The Incredibles was a decent movie for both the little ones and the adults. It's better than Finding Nemo was, and I'd have to say it was up there with Monsters Inc. *****

The Village - I had problems with this film. It didn't seem to be a thriller or a horror picture. It seemed to be one of those films that wasn't really going anywhere. And then in the last fifteen minutes, the story became something decent. I wouldn't say the ending helped, but it at least made the film work for me. ***

Saw - Very creepy film. One of those films, like Seven or Fight Club or Unbreakable, where the film builds and builds and then hits you right between the eyes in the last five minutes. I was riveted to the couch for the entire time the film was on. It's a good story with some creepy lighting helping to create the mood. *****

NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Winds - Here's Disney again, raiding the vaults of Japanese filmmaker Studio Ghibli. I guess since they can't make a good film anymore, they'll buy someone else's movies. It wasn't a bad film, but it's definitely not the best Miyazaki film made. ***

The Grudge - A good attempt at a horror film. I enjoyed the use of Japan as a setting, since I'm tired of seeing bad things happen in suburban America. It was creepy, but the ending just didn't work for me. I liked the Tarantino-esque style of showing the events out of sequence. ***

Tonight, it's The Forgotten. Should be interesting.

Addendum to this post:

Watched The Forgotten and I must say I wasn't disappointed. I was expecting a rip off of Nowhere Man, a television series from the late 1990's where a man's existence is erased. But this film was really well done. All I can say is I don't want to happen to me what happened to some of the characters. I don't think that's the way to travel... Decent film. ****

Comments

Batman Begins is actually one of the rare films I want to see this year. I've already seen Revenge of the Sith, and War of the Worlds is the other one. Other than that, not much looks all that interesting.

Popular Posts