Chicken wire is good for only two things...

1. Keeping animals on or off of your property.
2. Drawing blood.

I was hoping for more of number one over the weekend, but my arms and legs dealt with number two a lot more than I had hoped for. I built a nice fence to keep the neighbourhood animals and children out of our garden. Chicken wire wasn't the cheapest, or even the best looking, material they had at Home Depot, but it was the material I knew I could trust to stay up for the summer.

The thing about chicken wire is that it is unpredictable stuff with a lot more spring action than you'd think. One minute you're cutting material and it looks flat, and the next minute it's no longer flat and it's cutting you. And you don't feel the wire cut you. That's the really scary part.

You feel a paper cut.
You feel a blade cut.
Nothing with a piece of galvanized steel wire.

But I got cut so many times without even realizing it. I'd just look at my arms or legs and there'd be blood dripping out. I'm not hurt or anything, and I'm not one to faint or get sick at the sight of blood. I just kept on going until the fence got built. I ain't got time to bleed.

But I did have time to sweat. And sweat I did.

The humidity was unbelievable. People up here complain in winter for weather like this, and then complain that they want snow. We Canadians must be strange...

Comments

Popular Posts