Parlez-vous Sith?

I popped in the DVD of Star Wars the other night. Just to see how good it was, I threw it into the French Dolby Surround 2.0 version. No, I don't have a surround sound system, but I was more interested in hearing how the characters sounded in a different language.

C3Po sounded pretty much the same as he does in English. Same for Han, Luke, Leia.

But Darth Vader....

Nine million people in Quebec and they couldn't find one who could do a decent Vader voice. Not one. They can find someone to do a decent Mr. T. imitation for the French version of D.C. Cab, but not one for Star Wars.

I felt ripped off. I imagine anyone in Quebec would feel ripped off too. Vader is supposed to be a presence, but in French he sounds like a mechanical wuss. I'm not impressed.

By the way, R2D2, Chewbacca, Greedo and the Jawas sounded exactly like they do in English.

Addendum to this post:

For the French version of The Empire Strikes Back, they got a much better Vader voice. Sounds almost as good as the English version.

Comments

Popular Posts