home of the handy man

I left work today at 1:00 and decided to waste my time walking around town before going to an appointment. I thought about going to the hobby store and picking up something to build, but I remembered that the owner of said hobby shop isn't exactly the most polite or pleasant fellow. I tend to have problems handing money over to people who don't treat me like they want or deserve my money. So, I did what any insane person would do...

I went to the hardware store.

But not just any hardware store.

I went to Home Hardware. The best Home Hardware, I would say, in the world.

Now, there's a few reasons why I consider the store on Algonquin the best Home Hardware in the world. The first is that they are friendly in there. They even said I could keep my backpack with me in the store because they trusted me. No store nowadays trusts their customers enough to let them carry around any bag, let alone a backpack. The second reason is that the aisles in the store are so old school. You can't drive a stroller down the aisles because they're so narrow due to all the stuff on the shelves. Third, you can find stuff from way back in the day, which is nice when you have something that's obsolete that needs to be fixed. And the fourth reason, which I'll go into more detail below, is that you can find just about everything you'd ever need in one store.

Anyway, I walked around and found the sandpaper I needed. 1500 grit stuff and it's still a lot cheaper than the auto supply stores sell it for. But I continue walking around. Some would say that's my first mistake.

But I say it's my reward.

I found a package with several Dremel bits in it. They have the usual polishing stones and wire wheels. A mandrel with sanding drums and a little cylinder with cutting disks. I'm looking at the package and thinking "Well, other places sell this for $29.99".

The price on the package was $8.99. It's in my toolbox now.

And then the discovery of the day. As I'm looking at drill bits, thinking of replacing a couple of bits that have become broken (1/16", 5/32"), I find a group of bits I've never seen in a hardware store. Maybe in a hobby shop, or a jewelery supply house, but never in a hardware store. 1/64" bits. I bought a pair of them, because they're perfect for drilling holes for the models I build.

In all, a good trip to the store. A tough store to get to today since they're tearing down the CN Rail bridge on Algonquin. With no trains going over it for the past three years, they've decided to part with the bridge and keep trucks from getting stuck under it. It's a shame, since the first picture I ever saw of North Bay was of that bridge.

Best. Home. Hardware. ever.

Comments

Popular Posts