the sky is falling, or is it?

I'm wondering when it's all going to stop.

Following the bombings in England, some Canadian politicians are warning Canadians that we're going to be attacked. We're not told when, or how, or by whom, but we're going to be attacked.

I'm calling their bluff.

After seeing the rights of Americans curtailed by the Patriot Act, I really am worried that the Canadian government will enact some new rights that will take away the rights of its citizens. I don't see how restricting people from exercising their freedom will somehow stop terrorism.

I also don't see Canada as much of a target.

You see, Canada doesn't have all that much that anyone would want to blow up or knock down. I mean, if the CN Tower was to get hit, what's the worst that would happen? Maybe some people in Toronto would have to pay for cable television to watch CityTV.

If you attacked the Parliament Buildings, well, you'd destroy some nice buildings. But it wouldn't get much press in the world media.

And Canada doesn't go around the world pushing people around. The British have done it for centuries. And the Americans seem to be going that route. But Canadians seem to be in the game to be more of a peacemaker. People around the world know that. They don't seem to want to shoot us when they see us wearing a Canadian flag t-shirt in their airports.

I'm not going to hide under my desk or cover the windows with drop sheets and duct tape. And I'm not going to run around screaming about the sky falling. At least not until it actually happens.

Comments

Popular Posts