Heroes, mermaids, and angels...

More movie rental madness. Oh, and that review of Second Sight. I just beat the game and I'll say this much: it's one of the best games I've ever played. Great story, and the game is good enough to be a winner on any system. And I got it for less than ten bucks.

On to the reviews.

Sky High ***
- typical Disney fare. Stupid movie, but good enough that you'll watch from beginning to end. There are quite a few holes in the storytelling, but they can easily be overlooked. Too many characters involved in the main story, most of whom aren't truly necessary, and that's a weakness that can't be fixed.

Mermaid Forest ****
- a strange Japanese anime. I think it's a television series, but I don't know enough about it to say that for sure. A great movie if you want to make a drinking game of it. Any time a character says "mermaid flesh", take a shot of Sake. You won't make it through episode 1 of 3 unless you've got quite the tolerance for Japanese rice wine. They say "mermaid flesh" that much. I recommend it to any anime fans, but be prepared for repetitive storytelling.

Neon Genesis: Evangelion *
- yes, you'll notice only one star. The equivalent of a musical supermodel, it's great to look at and sounds wonderful, but it's really, really empty. This anime was shot like a Tarantino film: out of sequence, lots of style. But it lacked in storytelling and was very difficult to comprehend. It's not a great film. Yes, the animation is incredibly well done. Yes, the classical music was a nice touch. But without a competent story, this film isn't worth the price of a rental. I don't think I'd watch it again if it were on television for free. I'm actually amazed Blockbuster had this film: the characters are supposed to be around 14 years of age. They happen to spend some time without their clothes on. I thought this was illegal.

But that's Blockbuster for ya...can't rent adult films, but you can get naked kids in anime.

Snow day today. 28 cm. last night. A new record, breaking the old one from the 1930's.

Comments

Ass2006

Consider your ass deleted from the posts. You don't pay, you don't play.

Popular Posts