Error 691

I'm beginning to wonder about computers. Designed to "make the lives of human beings easier", they seem to cause nothing but trouble. At least in my life.

As an instructor, my job is to teach people. That's not the easiest job in the world, but according to my bosses, I do it well. In addition to that job, I am also a network support technician. I make sure the computer network at work is in fine form.

We have a very simple network. DSL comes in, goes through a router and connects to every computer. There was a hub somewhere in the middle, but it died for no apparent reason. So, we've been trying to find a replacement.

I found a possible replacement, and I think I may have just found the bargain of the decade. A Hewlett Packard J2410A AdvanceStack 100VG 15 port Ethernet hub. It's a beautiful piece of hardware, worth about $3000 brand new. I got it for $10.

Yes, you read that right. Too bad it doesn't do the job I wanted it to.

You see, the AdvanceStack line requires another piece of hardware to be plugged into it in order for it to connect to a standard category 5 ethernet network. I don't have that particular piece of equipment.

So, work bought a nice little D-Link 8 port ethernet switch. It works. Too bad half the machines are now popping up with "Error 691" on the screen. That's supposed to be a dial-up error.

I don't want dial-up. I want broadband.

Something is going on in computer land. I'll figure it out eventually. Probably something to do with the passwords being all buggered up.

If this much screws up with computers, I'm happy we don't have flying cars.

Comments

Anonymous said…
thought-provoking, mootable pv. just my thoughts, well anyways gl & be chipper is what i say

Popular Posts