A few pictures to get started...

The photo quality isn't the greatest...my apologies. I'm going to have to do something about the lighting in my workshop. It doesn't help that the light is behind me, and is one of those compact fluorescent bulbs that puts out a yellowish cast on everything. I know I can fix it in several paint programs, but I didn't do that this time.

Anyway...on to the models at hand. I found some SD40-2 units on the HOYARDSALE Yahoo group. They cost me $15, which was a pretty good deal for one powered unit and one dummy unit. It actually cost me more to have them shipped from Florida than the units cost, but I didn't mind that. My hobby shop charges more for one dummy unit than both of these units and shipping. I purchased them to finish out something that I had bought many years ago, that being a Detail Associates wide nose kit for a CN SD40-2w.

I used Vim cleaning solution and an old toothbrush to take off most of the paint. As you can see in the photos, it didn't take everything off. I'm not going to worry too much about it, as I'd rather keep scrubbing with Vim than lose any more brain cells to PineSol, Alcohol, and Brake Fluid.



This ex-L&N unit still sports the gray coat of paint and a very minute amount of the yellow lettering. I don't mind it not being a black shell, as this will allow me to see a lot of what needs to be cut apart. As it stands now, here is everything that needs to be cut off:

1. The cab and nose
2. The long hood end
3. The front and rear steps and pilots
4. The air conditioning unit behind the cab
5. The air tanks
6. The fans
7. The radiator grills
8. The nubs that hold the shell to the chassis

I also need to drill a number of holes for details, like lift rings. The steps will be replaced by the beautiful etched brass models from Railflyer Model Prototypes. I thought about using cast brass steps that have been around for years, but once I saw the RFMP steps, I ordered two sets of steps and two pilots. I am also looking at replacing the chassis on this unit with a Rail Power Products SD45-2 underframe, in order to give the unit the correct wheelbase. The Athearn chassis is fine, but the trucks are too close together so that this locomotive will negotiate an 18" radius curve.



This unit will need a bit more cleaning to get it ready for cutting and detailing. The red was horrible...it took a lot more elbow grease to remove what I was able to remove. It will also need all of the same parts cut off in order for me to make this unit into a CN model.

I have a lot of the detail parts on hand to get both of these units started. I have both of the cabs, the Cannon and Company fans, long hood ends, and grills, the Railflyer steps, pilots, and pillow blocks (they hold cables under the deck), and anticlimbers. I still need air tanks, horns, grab irons, fuel fillers, electrical boxes, snow shields, and many more parts. It may take a while to get everything together, but I'm willing to work at getting the parts.

I'll post more as it becomes available.

Comments

Popular Posts