more movie time

Two free rentals and an almost empty mall theatre can only mean one thing:

It's movie time again!

War of the Worlds: I saw the trailer for this one a while ago, and since The Fantastic Four wasn't available, we rented this one. Not a great film, but not a bad film either. There were a few errors in the film (how's that camcorder working when every other piece of electronic equipment has died?), but nothing that would take away from the film. A few shots in the film were really spectacular (the sunlight coming through the church window was one), and the look of the film was really good. I had a laugh when the flaming Amtrak train went through. I love trains, but that was just too funny to resist. The Hollywood ending ruined it for me. I must say, though, that Tim Robbins was a hell of a lot scarier than the aliens. I won't ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but that was one really scary character. ***

The Fantastic Four: We finally got the movie, and it didn't disappoint. When a film based on a comic book has a real comic book feel to it, they've done the job right. Michael Chiklis should get some kind of award for his role. This movie was more about The Thing and having to deal with the loss of his human looks and how he struggled to keep his humanity. Chiklis was brilliant. The film did not disappoint. *****

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
: Following the success of other adapted children's stories translated to film, Disney brought out Narnia to theatres. And I have to say, they did a great job. I have never read the books (yeah, I know I should have...) and the movie pulled me right in. The casting of the children was really good, but the best part of the movie was the White Witch. A woman that good looking should not be allowed to be that evil. A really good film, and one that children should be taken to see.

Trailers...Curious George looks stupid. Over the Hedge still looks stupid. Pirates of the Caribbean 2 looks like a good one. Cars looks like it might be good. Eight Below is standard "everything is going well, then it doesn't, then something unexpected happens, and everyone lives and has a happy day" Disney fare. Not going to waste my money on that one.

Comments

Anonymous said…
War of the World f'n ruled.

well, the tripods did.

Popular Posts