Things are starting to pick up...

Sorry, no photos this time. Not much has been done to the units, anyway.

Parts have come in, which will allow me to finish building most of the units. What is missing are some parts which are either too expensive to get at the moment, or too difficult to find. One example would be the Rail Power Products SD45-2 underframes. I'm not paying $35 a piece for them, as they are overpriced at that amount, especially when they can occasionally be found on eBay or other internet sites for $5 a piece. I can be patient.

The reason I need these underframes is because when Athearn first introduced their groundbreaking SD40-2, the wheelbase was shortened so that the locomotive could run on 18" radius snap track. It was a compromise necessary at the time to allow people who had "toy" train track to run a decent locomotive. It's a compromise that is no longer necessary. Athearn has the technology and the parts necessary to remedy this problem...they've chosen not to. The Rail Power Products underframe will fit the Athearn shell, and will allow me to detail the underframe with all the cables and waste retention tanks...

The Railflyer parts I have received have been excellent, as have the Detail Associates and Details West parts. It has been far too long since I've done a detailing job on a locomotive, and this set of SD40-2Ws will be my most detailed set of locomotives to date.

Photos will come with more work...

Comments

Popular Posts