full of broken thoughts

I missed Matthew Good at The Wall last week. Wanted to go, but with money being kind of tight and all, I couldn't go. Not that it's a problem. He'll be back. Unlike a lot of Canadian musicians, Mr. Good has some staying power. But, there was one song I wanted to hear.

And that would be Hurt.

A few years back, I asked Mr. Good if he ever wanted to sing a Nine Inch Nails song. He said no.

Now he's doing it. But, this is where things get a little confusing. Before he sings it, he says he's been listening to a lot of Johnny Cash lately. So, why not sing Man in Black or Ring of Fire?

And the net is up to no good, too. People are claiming the Matthew Good version is better than both the Nine Inch Nails version and the Johnny Cash version. Or they're coming up with other top three lists.

Now, I can't really judge this one. I've heard the Good version on YouTube, and it's not all that great (mostly due to the drunken idiots screaming through the song). If he had done this in a studio without a crowd, it probably would have been excellent. I've heard the Johnny Cash version, which I think is a great version. The video is definitely better than the Nine Inch Nails version (which would have been the best if they had just used the film footage and no close-ups of the band), but without the video the song just isn't the same. I've heard (and seen video) of Trent Reznor performing the song. He is the only one who really puts the anger and pure energy into the song.

This all reminds me of what Dr. Kelly, my art professor, once taught me. You can go to any flea market and pick up the Mona Lisa or Starry Night for five dollars. You can't get the original for that. Innovation beats imitation any day of the week.

Trent Reznor wrote an excellent song. He's written several excellent songs.
Johnny Cash sang one of Trent Reznor's songs. He did an excellent job of it.
Matthew Good sang the same song. He also did an excellent job of it.

But give credit where it's due. This is a Nine Inch Nails song, not a Johnny Cash song.

Comments

I'd say there almost even, but Trent gets the nod because his sounds just a little better. Cash did an excellent job, and I'd never take anything away from that. But his version, without the video, isn't as good as the Nails version.

The video, however, is one of the best I've seen. Not too many music videos have that kind of power, and we see way too many "shake yo azz" videos now.

But hey, everyone has their own tastes.

Popular Posts