a phew fotos...

Last post I mentioned that I was starting work on a Southern Ontario Railink locomotive. I have some photos to show the work that I did.



This photo shows the Front Range shell on a modified Athearn GP9 chassis. The Front Range shell would not fit on the frame properly, so this became the first frame I ever had to grind down in order for a shell to fit. And it fits nicely. In this picture, you can see the remnants of some body putty on the nose...this is from my failed attempt at building a CN GP9rm...



What is in this picture are the parts for making the new cab. I have the old Front Range cab at my right, before any modifications were done. I also have the front face of an old Athearn SD40-2 cab, which I cut apart very carefully with my razor saw. Very carefully as in not destroying the cab or cutting off any of my fingers. The red arrow in the picture is pointing at the number boards I used, which came from a Rail Power Products B23-7 kit. Yes, it is odd to use a General Electric part for a General Motors locomotive...but it works.



And here is the result. I cut the light housing from the Front Range short hood and glued it onto the number boards, and then proceeded to drill it out for lighting. It looks almost exactly like the Railink locomotive cab, so I'm happy. Above it is the nose, which I had to shim with styrene strips as I had cut it way too short years ago.

I still need to get more parts to finish the unit, but I think it's beginning to work for me.



1210 is one of my older locomotives, built before I had some of the nice tools and skills I have now. The trucks came from an Athearn SW1500 and look and work much better than the modified Juneco trucks that used to be on this unit. I will be stripping this unit, replacing the cab and handrails, and repainting it to SOR 1359, which was the last remaining SW1200 on their roster. In the foreground you can see the still in progress CN SD40-2W 5245 with the beautiful Railflyer treadplate, pilot plate, and steps. The red on the cab is body putty.

More photos and stuff as progress continues....

Comments

Popular Posts