Is this all I do now?

More movies. Yee...haw.

Spriggan ****
- more Japanese anime fun. Some decent animation, but the story is where this film really shined. Whenever Anime meets Religion, one of two things happens:
  1. It sucks. See Neon Genesis review below.
  2. It really blows the audience away.
Spriggan went the second route, which I appreciated. From the moment the film starts off, the viewer is pulled into a well thought out story involving Noah's Ark. Cool film.

The Cat Returns *****
- another Hiyao Miyazaki classic brought to North America by Disney. The animation is very well done, the story is decent, and the voices (yes, even the Disney ones) brought the animated characters to life. Peter Boyle at Muta and Cary Elwes as the Baron are probably the best voices Disney has brought to a Miyazaki film. Boyle has a way of making any role (see Young Frankenstein, Everybody Loves Raymond) become incredibly funny and Elwes makes the Baron sound like an aristocratic feline. The bonus disc is a waste, unfortunately. All it contains is the storyboard running to the story of the film. But the bonus features on the first disc go into great detail on how this film came to be, and why it is called The Cat Returns. Great film.

Howl's Moving Castle ****
- the latest Hiyao Miyazaki film to be released. I found the story to be good, but not as good as The Cat Returns. Christian Bale as Howl and Billy Crystal as Calcifer did a good job, but again not as good as the voices in The Cat Returns. I'd still recommend this film (as I would any Miyazaki film) to anyone who watches anime. Again, Disney provided a useless bonus disc. I don't think I'd sit through the storyboard version of the film.

House of Flying Daggers *****
- I didn't like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Critics loved it, audiences loved it. I didn't. I found it too long and not interesting enough, even with Chow Yun Fat, to hold my attention. I was worried that House of Flying Daggers would do the same. I'm happy to report that this film was much better for me. The story of a blind dancer and the soldier who tries to find the hideout of the Flying Daggers is one that will get your attention. Just when the viewer thinks they know everything about this film, they will discover they know very little. This movie has so many twists and turns that one must pay close attention or they will lose their way. The movie is beautifully shot, with incredible acting and an almost perfect story. I highly recommend it.

Comments

Spammers, please realize. I want cash for your comments. You want to spam this site, be prepared to pay.

Otherwise, I delete your comments.

Popular Posts